Monday, December 6, 2010

Heath Bars and the World to Come

When I was a young man, I would buy a Heath Bar and, after opening its crinkly package, would bite into the toffee covered in milk chocolate, closing my eyes as I enjoyed its exquisite crunchiness, and then savor each subsequent bite. This is how I imagined the Olympic gods' ambrosia to taste. Okay, ambrosia doesn't your clog arteries nor promote dental decay, but when you're young you don't think about such matters. At least I didn't.

When we moved to Jerusalem, where we lived for 36 years, I stopped buying Heath Bars, which were unavailable there, and when we returned to America two years ago, I was unable to find them. I assumed they were no longer being made, until a month ago, when, dining at the home of my daughter and her family, we were served Haagen Dazs "Everything but the Kitchen Sink" premium ice cream, which includes Heath Bar chunks. Heath Bars! The ambrosia of my youth!

I started looking for them everywhere, at drug stores, supermarkets, and subway newspaper kiosks, but nowhere could I find them. When I told my daughter of my fruitless search, she said, "but they're sold everywhere." Encouraged, I continued looking for them, but I still couldn't find them. So I figured that their packaging had probably changed. After all, until we went abroad, I had watched their price rise inexorably from its original five cents, the bar shrinking all the while. Maybe their package had changed too. I was probably looking at them without seeing them. I abandoned my search until I could devote more time to examining the complete array of bars on the market.

In an earlier blog post I quoted the Chief Rabbi of Great Britain, who said that in the World to Come, we will be asked to account for all the pleasures that we denied ourselves in this world. So when my daughter called me the other day to announce that she had bought me a Heath Bar, I felt compelled to follow rabbinic authority. On the other hand, dietary authorities might question the wisdom of eating Heath Bars, if I want to maintain my current weight and keep my cholesterol down. When I mentioned this conflict to my daughter, she said, "Dad, a Heath Bar won't kill you." Of course, she's right, but I know that my pleasure will be tinged with guilt.

A few years back, when a popular Israeli journalist learned that he had only six months to live, he threw a party for his friends. In his valedictory talk, he said that one of the advantages of his current situation was that he no longer had to floss his teeth. I don't expect to check out in six months, but even so, hasn't the time come, now that I've reached my eightieth year, to say to hell with all those killjoy rules and to eat what I want without feeling guilty? And if not now, when? After all, I don't suppose I'll find any Heath Bars in the World to Come.

4 comments:

  1. How do you know that ambrosia doesn't clog your arteries and promote tooth decay? Perhaps the gods are safe, but who knows the long-term effect of divine ambrosia on human beings? Has anyone conducted a study?

    (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

    Enjoy that Heath Bar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea! I've long been looking for a suitable research project and this one would be fun to do. Thanks for suggesting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect a certain former redhead could learn from this post! (but you didn't hear that from me...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I confess that when I eat something I shouldn't, I feel not so much guilt as apprehension. I think, "Is this the delicious morsel that will do me in?" I should heed the Rabbi you cite in your post, but if I heeded him too much, I'd doubtless be asked to account for pleasures I should have denied myself -- but didn't!

    Anyway, I suggest that the Chief Rabbi might have been referring to pleasures that money CAN'T buy. I tend to doubt that missing a Heath bar rates a demerit, but missing a sunset, or the sweet smiles of your family, just might.

    But what do I know?

    ReplyDelete