Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Transitional Bridge

Graciela Spector, my last doctoral student at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, wrote a splendid dissertation about the acquisition of Hebrew and the maintenance of Spanish among Argentinian immigrants to Israel who had arrived as adults. She found that they aim not at perfection in acquiring Hebrew but imperfection. Their Hebrew announces, “I am one of you, but not quite.” They arrest their development in Hebrew at whatever point it seems to them that it is becoming “too good,” a betrayal of their identity as Argentinians. This was an argument with which I could sympathize, since my own Hebrew was in no danger of becoming too good.

Twelve life-stories formed the core of her dissertation, narratives as skillfully rendered as the best fiction. From these she built a theory that included such interesting notions as the Language Casanova (a person who falls in love with language after language, faithless to each in turn), the transitional bridge (along which immigrants station themselves, moving now towards the Israeli side and now towards the Argentinian as their self-perceptions change), and imagined language proficiency (the proficiency which immigrants think is consistent with their place on the transitional bridge).

She wrote about the crises that ensue when immigrants return to Argentina for an extended stay – a sabbatical, for example – which forces them to ask themselves “who am I?” When we were living in Jerusalem, I experienced that crisis every time I returned to America, even for a brief visit. I would fantasize about living there full-time, but when I returned to Jerusalem, I was happy to be back. My transitional bridge saw a lot of traffic.

Now that we live year round in America, I’ve crossed the transitional bridge all the way back to where I began. I continue to take a keen interest in all matters Israeli, checking Ha’aretz on line every day, reading newspaper items about Israel before I turn to other articles, and keeping in touch with Israeli friends. Even so, I’m now planted firmly in America. With my health issues becoming ever more serious and both our children living here, it would make no sense to return to Jerusalem, even if we had the strength to do it. We’ve burned the bridge.

Yet there’s no denying that our lives in Jerusalem were exceptionally rich - involved with others and engaged in the political scene - more so than here. But we're older now and have less stamina. Even if we never left Jerusalem, it’s doubtful that we could continue to entertain on the same scale as we once did, when it was not uncommon for eight guests to join us for Shabbat dinner. I won’t speak for my wife but I know that I could not throw myself into projects with the same vigor that I once displayed.

We gaze at Jerusalem now through a nostalgic haze, forgetful of the frustrations and anxieties that life there often entailed. Yes, our lives there were genuinely rewarding, engaging, and enriching. We were immensely fortunate to have lived there so long. But we remember Jerusalem during a time when we were younger. Our nostalgia is not only for Jerusalem. It is also for our youth.

4 comments:

  1. I feel less involved in Israeli matters. I believe the political situation is hopeless, I mean no more two states, no more left wing. Also recent movies and novels from Israeli authors are not as good as before. "The responsible for human relationships" was very disappiinting. Of course I own only to one nation, and that makes the difference. Wally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graciela Spector-BitanJanuary 21, 2011 at 5:28 AM

    Dear dear friend:
    First of all, you explain my ideas with such a clarity that I can use your text to better present them before others... Thank you!
    I would like to tell you that I see you living happily on the transitional bridge, and I don't feel you have put it on fire...
    In fact, if we reread what you wrote on January 3rd, 'Christmas', we see that you were walking on the bridge between Los Angeles and Bethlehem, and that 'during the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas... I feel slightly alienated from the American mainstream'.
    My way of seeing it is the following: when you feel alienated... you are walking on the bridge ,away from the mainstream , towards another region of your identity: Jewish? Israel? Perhaps. But it is evident for me that the bridge is always in your head and your heart and, therefore, you have somewhere else to go.
    This region about which you take care to keep well informed about (as you tell us here "checking Ha’aretz on line every day, reading newspaper items about Israel before I turn to other articles, and keeping in touch with Israeli friends"
    Well. It seems to me that your bridge has remained intact, and you are able to wander on it as much as you like.
    As you can also walk along the bridge of the different stages of your life, remembering and enjoying again the experiences and feelings of more youthful times.
    In fact, in order to burn the bridge, you would have to burn also your nostalgia, and you have very well explained to us in another text that this is -fortunately for you and for your faithful readers- something you are absolutely not ready to do....
    Enjoy the walk!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graciela, my good friend suggested this blog to me and my response was as follows:

    "I have just 'bookmarked' the blog and intend to follow it from time to
    time. One of the many reasons I regret not having gone the academic route is
    that I missed meeting people like him! However, I can't totally regret it
    since I have led a full and rich life, more than if I had if I went on to
    university and probably ended up as a teacher somewhere in the jungles of
    Academia...I believe that degrees should be given to successful autodidacts
    like myself!“

    I have much to say about the concentration of thoughts and ideas herein, but that will have to wait a bit. Suffice to say that I too, refuse to burn my nostalgia...

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks, Joe. I'm glad that Graciela referred you to this blog.

    ReplyDelete