Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Fall

The other day, while walking home from Prospect Park, striding along briskly and feeling like Superman, I stumbled. My momentum was so great that I pitched forward and staggered for a couple of steps, trying to right myself, before landing on my face, hands, and knees near two workmen seated on a bench eating their lunch. They grabbed me under the arms, pulled me up, and set me down on another bench. Alarmed by my bleeding, they asked if they should call an ambulance. I declined the offer with thanks and, after sitting a few moments to collect myself, slowly walked the rest of the way home.

We were expecting guests that night for dinner, including a friend whom we hadn’t seen in about twenty years and in whose honor I had gotten a haircut that morning so that I would look my best. When she saw me, though, she was horrified by my appearance. “Oh, it’s nothing, really,” I told her, “just a fall,” but during dinner, after I began to sweat profusely and to feel dizzy and nauseous, everyone at the table insisted I go to an emergency room.

An MRI of my head showed no internal bleeding, fortunately, but I was told to expect headaches for several days. Just before I left the ER, the nurse told me she would sum up the three-page report of my condition. “It says, ‘don't do it again.’”

That morning I had walked fast in Prospect Park, enjoying the shade of the great trees and catching glimpses of dogs catching frisbies on the Long Meadow, but I guess that’s all over now. At 78 I finally have to be more careful. The elderly Clark Kent has been forced to walk cautiously and to look out for obstacles in his course instead of admiring the trees and flowers all around him. Superman’s been grounded for good.

5 comments:

  1. Superman may be grounded but Clark Kent is back, flying through blog space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DPC understands precisely, and from blog space the view can be long and wide.

    APC

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Jim Croce said, "you don't tug on Superman's cape" - glad you're still flying in cyberspace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll always be one of the supermen in my life.
    CHPC

    ReplyDelete
  5. All is not over. You either walk briskly -- carefully watching where you're going -- OR take in the beautiful surroundings. NOT both at once.

    Does someone who does attempt both at once deserve the title Superman?

    I tend to doubt it.

    PRC

    ReplyDelete