Friday, June 11, 2010

A Subway Ride

Jauntily clad in blue blazer, chino trousers, and a blue cotton hat with a red band, and feeling terrific, I left home with my wife the other day to go into Manhattan. In the subway car there were no empty seats next to each other, so we sat apart. At the next stop, after the place next to my wife had been vacated, I got up and started to walk to it just as a young man was about to sit there. He quickly understood that I wanted his seat, however, and came over to me, put one hand on my shoulders and placed the other one under my arm and solicitously walked me over to the seat he had abandoned and carefully set me down on it.

I have traveled from Beijing to Moscow on the Trans-Siberian Railroad and have spent weeks in the Ethiopian back country, where I forded creeks in a Land Rover and slept in missionary stations, and now I’m seen as a frail old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment