Friday, June 29, 2012

Loss and Love


A friend wrote recently about preparing to plunge into a rooftop pool with a spectacular view of the south Asian capital she was visiting.  She’s a recent widow, her husband having died about a year ago.  A lovely guy, he was relatively young, not yet eligible for Medicare.  Before my friend dove into the pool, she saw a young pair of honeymooners gazing soulfully into each other’s eyes.  Suddenly she was overwhelmed by grief.  “Life’s a bitch,” she wanted to tell them.  “Loss is the price of love.”

That’s true, but the honeymooners would have been unlikely to absorb her message.  If they are like my wife and me at their age, their own death is not yet real to them.  It takes a long time for that to happen, but for me, at least, it happened twenty years ago, when I experienced my first bout with cancer.  It was at about that time that I began to file material that would be useful to my wife if I preceded her.  It included data on our bank accounts, various clerical procedures, people and institutions that should be notified about my death, and so on. 

I’m five and a half years older than my wife, and since men don’t live as long as women in any event, the probability of my predeceasing her is high.  Now that I’m eighty, with an arm’s length of medical problems, the probability is even higher.  I wonder how she will manage without me, but that’s giving her too little credit and me too much.  She’ll manage perfectly well, although I’m sure it will be hard for her at first.  

How do I know it will be hard?  Because I put myself in her place and imagine how I would feel if she checked out before me.  Still, I’d say that the profound pain of loss is a price worth paying for the great happiness that our marriage has brought me.


2010-2012 Anchises-An Old Man’s Journal All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment