Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Consummation of Desire


“Coveting a Jaguar” (7/27/12) described my love affair with the Jaguar XK120 roadster, which was manufactured during the late ‘40s and early ‘50s.  My affair, ardent though it’s been, was unconsummated until last week.  But now I have one of my own.  My sister and brother-in-law, with characteristic generosity, bought one for me.  Requiring no restoration whatever, in perfect condition, it's burgundy, with white-wall tires and wheels with wire spokes.   It’s seven and a half inches long, two and a half inches wide, and two and a half inches high.

It is, in another words, a scale model, down to its rear view mirror, its doors that open, its gear shift that moves, and its steering wheel that turns the front wheels.  It has amber lights on its front fenders and red brake lights at the rear.  I’ve parked it to the right of my computer and every time I look at it joy fills my soul.  It’s made me happier than the real thing possibly could.  I’ll never have to struggle to find a parking space for it nor will I ever have to pay to park it in a garage.  Its maintenance costs are zero, no one will think me ridiculous for owning it, and I won't need help getting in and out. 

Wearing leather driving gloves and a burgundy silk ascot. I’m driving it along a sinuous mountain road.  I descend to a little town, where a red light stops me.  Women look at me with interest and men regard the car with mingled admiration and envy.  I drive slowly through the town, conscious of the conspicuousness that might elicit a traffic ticket for an infraction, imagined or real.   As the traffic lights disappear and the town melts into the countryside, I increase my speed, slowing down only when I approach my rendezvous, a gated estate.  What am I going to do there?  That, I’m afraid, is a secret. 





2 comments: